Proven Social Media Trends You Can Apply To Leverage In Your Business.
In this blog article, I m sharing interesting Social Media Trends and you can learn from them along with the key takeaways on social.
Over the past 12 months, the biggest social media trends that is evident on social media was the shift from earned or free marketing attention to the “pay to play” marketing trend. Another notable change is the big impact of social media platforms like WhatsApp and Snapchat which has now become quasi social networks on its own.
To sum up everything in social media trends, smartphones have penetrated the market and is soaring high as it had been quite both accessible and affordable to the public; the wireless networks had also became more faster. In 7.2 billion population on earth, about 3 billion are active internet users. 3.65 billion internet users have access using their tablets and smartphones and nearly 2.1 billion of these users have social media accounts with 1.7 billion having active social media accounts.
In this post, I have summarized a few social media trends studies and facts which can be helpful for your online marketing plan.
You might think that Facebook is arrogant, but this cannot be ignored. To date, there are nearly 1.4 billion users on Facebook with 47% of all users on the internet on Facebook. On a daily basis, about 4.5 billion likes are generated. In addition, about 75% of the revenue of Facebook are generated through mobile advertising.
Based on statistics, only Yahoo and BuzzFeed have more women audiences amounting to 56% and 51% respectively. In a study collaborated by BuzzStream and Fractl, it was discovered that 18 out of the 20 publisher’s Facebook audiences had a following of more males compared to females. Furthermore, majority of the active users on the said pages were college graduates.
Here are some of the most important Social Media Trends with Facebook I found relevant to stay up to date with for 2016:
- Video will still be a leading factor in 2016.
- Facebook profile pictures can be made automated GIF.
- Engagement will be varied in 2016 and Facebook will proceed beyond the like button.
Twitter had always been known as an ultimate brand awareness facilitator. To date, Twitter has 284 million active users, 88% of which are on mobile. On a daily basis, about 500 million tweets are seeded.
In an investigation by a research team from Cornell, a few factors were identified as a big help for reposted content on Twitter.
Here are the most significant Social Media Trends the researchers have identified in the study:
- Asking people to share your content – using the words spread, retweet, RT, or even please.
- Keeping your tweets informative – always focus on nouns and verbs as well as the length of your tweet.
- Mimic news headlines to get more interaction.
- Use both negative and positive words. It was noted that both strategies work well equally.
- Use third person point of view when writing.
- Applying right Hashtags.
- Adding Catchy Images for your Twitter marketing will be at most, important detail you can add to your twitter strategy.
Take note that Instagram is owned by Facebook. The social network has about 400 million users. On a daily basis, about 70 million photos are shared on the site. Users on Instagram are between the ages 18-29, accounting to 53% of the internet users.
There are more interactions happening on Instagram than you could think of.
For every 100 followers, there would be at least 5 likes or comments. The interaction on Instagram on a daily basis are 10x higher as compared to Facebook.
In a study by Quintly where 5,000 Instagram accounts were analyzed and was broken down into buckets to identify the current engagement trend, strategy and content type, it was discovered that the interaction rate on Instagram was amazingly high. Instagram’s Interaction rate was pegged on 4.8 interactions for every 100 followers compared to Facebook with a rate of only 0.72 of the same ratio.
What are the top Social Media Trends for 2016 to watch out for:
- 42% of Marketers plan to increase their marketing using Instagram.
- Visual content is more important than ever to brand’s marketing strategy.
- Using catchy images to gain attention.
- Link up your profile with your site.
- Video Creation.
- Using DM (Direct Messaging) to reach further your followers.
- Engage back with those that comment on your post.
Research shows that there are 47 Million users over at Pinterest. You should know that Pinterest is female centric with about 70% of its total users and had made the pinboard an effective virtual activity. In total about 70 million users have Pinterest accounts, 88% of the users usually purchased the product they have pinned on the social sharing site.
What are the top Social Media Trends for 2016 to watch out for:
- People got to Pinterest to buy.
- Pinterest users have doubled in the second half of 2014.
- Growth of Pinterest users is expected to grow by 2019 to 60 Million users.
- It can expect to drive more sales than Facebook one day.
Additionally, here are some of the awesome Marketing Tips to get your visibility on Pinterest.
When it comes to the professional segment of the social network, LinkedIn is number one! Linkedin started in 2002 and is almost the grandfather of all social networks. To date, the platform has about 347 million users. College graduates and students account to 39 million of the total users on LinkedIn. In 2014, LinkedIn had a recorded total revenue of $643 million, with a growth rate of 44% from its 2013 revenue.
Other notable social media facts
Facebook may be famous for both baddest and biggest social media network, but there are also a few notable social network sites that need recognition – both for English and non-English speaking countries.
- Facebook Messenger app has over 500 Million Users on their smartphones.
- Viber has about 200 million users.
- WhatsApp on the one hand has 600 million users.
- Ozone in China has 639 million users.
- WeChat is closing numbers at 468 million users.
- Snapchat’s current value is pegged at $20 billion and with over 100 million monthly users.
- VKontake (Russian Version of Facebook) has an amazing 100 million users.
Interesting Facts on how people spend their time on social media
The Global Web Index report discovered interesting facts on how people would like to spend their time on social media networks including Facebook, Twitter and Google+. According to the report, reading news stories are the most popular activity on Twitter. Furthermore, clicking the like button is a hit and is the most popular activity on Facebook.
Key Learning Takeaway on Twitter
Sprout Social had shared in their 2013 benchmark study key takeaways on how businesses and brands should listen and respond on their social media accounts. A follow-up study was also reported in 2014 where the results had most of the same takeaways from the data. Sprout Social reiterated that there is a great opportunity for a brand or business to stand out on social media simply by responding to everyone. The data from Sprout Social have identified that businesses are already learning how to respond quicker to their audience.
It’s the game changing!
Mobile is dominating social media, as evident with the results of the studies conducted by different social sites with different perspectives. With the fast pace of social media trends, it is noteworthy to know which strategy will best work for you to increase your online branding or even your sales if you’re running an e-commerce website.
Always assess your audience and ensure that you know how to engage with them to get better results.
Are you engaged user or just a lurker?
And my personal quote I strongly believe in:Being on Social Media - means to be Social - that's as simple as that.Click To Tweet
Lastly, don’t forget to “PIN IT to WIN IT”!
Latest posts by Anna Zubarev (see all)
- Impressive Truth of Daily Habits of Successful Pinterest Users - March 21, 2017
- Top 8 FREE Graphic Tools To Get Your Pins Go Viral - June 16, 2016
- Ultimate Pinterest Strategy Guide And How To Create One. - May 18, 2016
- Quick-Start Guide For Social Media Image Optimization. - May 11, 2016
- How to Leverage Pinterest And Drive Traffic To Your Blog - May 4, 2016